Jodi and I started out by discovering some dominate wood letters to use for our hierarchies. The wood letters are larger in scale and have serifs, which is a good contrast against the rest of the quote in sans serif, Alternate Gothic. The wood letters also provided a template for tracking out the smaller type. Jodi created a design that made ‘pretty colors’ her hierarchy, and I used ‘drool’ in mine. To tie the designs together we used a central column concept, which was pretty much the only way to incorporate the oversized scale of the wood type. We choose to go with white ink on black paper for our set, giving the cards irony against the subject of the quote. But then for the experimental we both used multiple colors to more accurately portray the quote.
The first night we used the kelsey letterpress. We were not having too much luck getting all the letters solid, even after layering up tape on the trouble areas. The next night we went ahead and tried printing with the larger roll over press. This provided a much better outcome. We got a good rhythm going and cranked out a stack for each design. The first night was a learning experience but once we knew what we were doing and what we needed to do we were able to have a clean pressed finished product.