neither of us had actually made paper in a while so we did a test run using our method. and it worked! we made some fun sheets of paper with confetti stars. it was fairly simple and not very time consuming. all of our supplies we already had or picked up at the dollar store, the most expensive item was the screening material. definitely a fun little craft project.
we have also enlisted the stars of our video, and will be shooting saturday at my dad’s casa.
– The crafty parent / child duo.
– The Pinterest / millennial group: more straightforward and “hip”
– The crafty parent and child audience: quirky, fun, entertaining, and hand-drawn. It could even include a child in the video itself or have a child narrate the video.
hot glue [or staples]
optional additional materials//
flowers, grass, vegetation
colored paper chunks
dye to make swirl patterns
now, let’s make paper//
- make frame and deckle (explain deckle)
- cut screen 1/2″ smaller than frame, edge to edge
- pull screen tightly across frame and glue down with hot glue (or use staples)
- place deckle onto frame (screen side up)
- velcro the two sections together (or hold tightly)
- shred paper
- put paper into blender
- fill blender with warm water with enough to cover paper plus a little extra
- cover blender and pulse a few times
- blend for 30 seconds
- pour pulp and water into tub / pan
- lower deckle and frame into tub
- shake over tub for even distribution
- gently lift out of tub, let water drain over tub.
- remove velcro and deckle
- place felt on top of wet paper sheet
- flip screen and paper onto flat tray
- use sponge to soak up water from the paper through the screen
- remove screen
- flip onto newspaper
- remove felt
- let paper dry over night